Mashie Design Computer worklogs Mod guides Mashie Links

Hot stuff
Read about the remake of the classic Udat case.
Project Anemone
I found some nice brass buttons at RS Online in UK. They have a mounting hole of 30.4mm (1.2") so they are huge as you can see in comparison with the CD.
The old holes had to be expanded a little bit to make the buttons fit. I like the colour cobination of brass and the brown bakelite. I have now decided to not paint the case in chrome.
Now when all cutting has been done it was time to get some nice finish. I started with 180 grit and went on to 600 grit. And to get a nice finish I used normal Brasso metal polish.
Looks a bit more shiny now, eh? I did another major design change, instead of using Ferrero Rocher to cover the LCD hole, a brass plate was chosen.
It had to be shaped quite a bit to be able to use the old mounting holes in the Bakelite. Here I am half through the cutting of the LCD window with one of the best modding tools ever invented - hand nibbler. The glove is used to not get any blisters, trust me, you will get them after you squeezed that handle a couple of hundred times.
Cutting done. To give all brass a common texture, they were sanded with 180 grit paper in one direction which gives a brushed look. A coat of clear metal lacquer makes sure that they stay shiny.
The Ferrero Rocher box will still be used as a window for the LCD. It was simply glued on with epoxy.
So far so good.
Time to add the LCD, melt glue was very useful for this job.
Finished unit.
Jump to page: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8